Friedman Memorial Airport Authority
The airport is jointly owned by the City of Hailey and Blaine County and is operated by the Friedman Memorial Airport Authority (FMAA) Board, which is comprised of three representatives appointed by the city, three appointed by the county and a seventh member who is unanimously agreed upon by the six owner-appointed members of the Authority.
The pioneering Friedman family donated land for an airport in the 1930s and approximately 111 acres of airport property is controlled by the City of Hailey as part of the Friedman Trust property. An additional 100 acres, comprising the rest of the airport property, is jointly owned by the City of Hailey and Blaine County.
Sign up to Receive our
General Functions of the Airport Authority
- Selection and appointment of an Airport Manager and necessary employees.
- Terms and conditions of leases, contracts and agreements, cooperative or otherwise, pertaining to the operation of the Airport.
- Adoption of Rules and regulations related to operation and maintenance of the Airport in order to ensure a safe and effective operation of all airport facilities.
- Preparation of development plans, financial plans and budget for the Airport.
The Authority Board consists of three members appointed by the County Commissioners of Blaine County, three members appointed by the Hailey City Council and one independent member who is appointed by a unanimous vote of the other six Authority Board members.
Length of Term
The members of the Authority Board that are appointed by the City Council or the County Commissioners serve for a period of time that is determined by the City Council or County Commissioners. The Independent Member serves a two-year term commencing on January 1 of the year of appointment.
Meeting of Schedule
The Airport Authority meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 5:30pm in the upstairs meeting room of the Old Blaine County Courthouse in Hailey, Idaho.
Joint Powers Agreement
The Amended and Restated Joint Powers Agreement of 2011 was made effective upon its execution between Blaine County, a political subdivision of the State of Idaho, and the City of Hailey, an Idaho municipal corporation located within the County.
The purpose of this Agreement is:
- To amend and restate pertinent provisions of the 1994 Agreement that created an Authority for the management and operation of certain airport activity in the County, including the Existing Airport.
- To eliminate safety deviations without expanding the impact of the Existing Airport on the adjacent community.
- To implement the Master Plan.
- To plan for, establish and operate the Replacement Airport.
***Please refer to the Joint Powers Agreement subcategory under Airport Governance for more information regarding earlier versions and all amendments of the Joint Powers Agreement.
The Friedman Memorial Airport Authority has certain duties, responsibilities and limitations which are delineated in the Amended and Restated Joint Powers Agreement, between Blaine County and the City of Hailey, dated February 26, 2011. In order to help perform these duties and responsibilities and observe these limitations, the Board has adopted the Friedman Memorial Airport Authority By-Laws.